Author Topic: Badius Owners Club 1  (Read 230698 times)

Offline ktaylor

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
Re: Badius Owners Club 1
« Reply #17880 on: July 03, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »
Motor problem on the Unique >:(, I noticed the motor was making a lot of noise the second time I put her up in the air. The round part of the motor that spins seems loose and I can't figure out why. It rocks back and forth about 1/8".
I think I got a bad motor >:(, I will probably switch it out. I have a few extra motors just in case this happened

TW, sounds like  the motor bearings or possibly the motor shaft is bent.

Offline Tail wind

• Pilot in Training
  • It's always the transmitter's fault
« Reply #17881 on: July 03, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »
KTaylor, I don't think it is a bent shaft, that wouldn't cause the motor to wiggle in my hand. I can take it and wiggle it side to side about 1/8". It may be the bearings, but that would be wierd on a motor that has only been flown about 3 times.

P-61, this is the only experience I have had with dual motors

Nitro Hammer Dual outboard Conversion Bench test
Don't let your failures over shadow your successes!

Offline ktaylor

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #17882 on: July 03, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »
SO, I got some flying inthis morning. First up, House Of Balsa P-51. Flew great. The new battery packs make that plane really move along nicely.  Even had a fairly decent landing, which is rare for that plane. Still nosed over though. Went to put in fresh battery packs & one of the wheels fell off. OK, no more flying for the Mustang today.

Next up, I finally got the courage up to get the Swallow out & fly it. 7 minutes of insanity followed. Forgot how twitchy that plane can be. Had some fun & then started to bring it in for a landing. Stalled it, tip stall actually. Managed to recover with about 5 feet to spare. Pulled up to get it back on course for the intended landing zone. It pulled up to about 15 feet & then snap rolled. Slammed the nose right into the asphalt that I was trying to avid. The nose is crumpled all the way back to the wing, & crushed the battery pack.  That plane is done, I'll strip it down later.

OK, fine, next up, 15lb Super Sportster. Got it all prepped, surfaces all work. Cool. Freshly balanced brand new prop spins. Fully charged batteries, lets have some fun.  Had a good flight, hammer heads, inverted, rolls, loops, stall turns, some crazy out of control stuff.  Then before my timer could even go off on the radio, I noticed the plane losing power. Not good. Get it lined up & pretty much dead stick it in. Broke the brand new freshly balanced prop when the plane landed with a little more nose down than I was wanting.

OK, fine, taxi it in. Nope, won't taxi, no battery power left at all. Hmmm. ok, drag the plane back to the truck & flip the plane over. Notice that it looks like a slimer. Some kind of residue liquid was on the bottom of the wing. Get the wing off as fast as I could. Find out that my 2 1/2 year old 5 cell packs have given up the ghost. One pack had split open & a cell had ruptured. Luckily it never caught fire. But there is a scorch mark on the wing where it melted the paint.

I Had the Screamer with me, but I figured I'd cut my losses for the day.

Offline Loubud

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #17883 on: July 03, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
Nice P-61, P-61 ;D
Elaine is very pleased.

Nice flyin Kate and TW.
TW
Cool boat. Me likey.
Kate
SUX about the landing and the Swallow.
Vegetarian. Old Indian word meaning Lousy Hunter.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."
Thomas Jefferson

(It's all Terry's fault)

Offline ferndale

• Fighter Pilot
« Reply #17884 on: July 03, 2010, 10:49:30 AM »
That sux Ken, but you got to fly!! ;D ;D

I took the usual suspects out and my fancy airplane box, only to discover that the folks at the school locked all the gates >:(  They are going to shoot off fireworks there in 30 something hours.  I went to the auxiliary field and elem school, but chickened out at both.  Then I went to the park and pulled out the Bug.  That was a hoot.  15 mph wind gusts and I am trying to just maintain the Bug.  I don't think I ever got above 25', and usually was about 5-10' high, I flew 2 batteries and was going for number 3 when I realized that they were in the cupboard.

Fern 
...Keep flying the plane....

Hot Glue, the Bondo of the airplane repair world

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #17885 on: July 03, 2010, 11:21:53 AM »
That sux big time Ken, good thing the pack didn't burst into flames when it split open

glad someone is getting to fly, pretty windy around here, even though I don't mind flying in some wind I decided to work on stuff

You know it never ceases to amaze me how just putting a plane together will make it look better than when it's in the box  :)

I decided to spend today and put the new Maggie together, I still have to hook up and the control rods and program it but I just wanted to go ahead and build it
pretty easy, nothing really more than glueing the tail on and putting the LG together
here's a couple pics,,,,,,,, like I said it just ammazes me how just putting it together makes it look better  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Well I flew it up there,,, now how do we get it down,,,,,,,,, NO MARK put that gun away

local club
www.libertyblazingangels.com

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
« Reply #17886 on: July 03, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »
tail wind,
   Now that's a cool boat!  I always wanted a boat, but you need a boat to fetch the boat if it fails. ;D

It's finally on!  I did'nt think I would ever get there, looking better from the underside

Going to do my motor tests, don't want to go backwards like Ken! ;D ;D  Once that's done the cowls go on for good.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:54:31 AM by P-61 Builder »

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #17887 on: July 03, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
Mac that is really looking good

what you didn't like that option of being able to back into the hanger  ;D
Well I flew it up there,,, now how do we get it down,,,,,,,,, NO MARK put that gun away

local club

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
« Reply #17888 on: July 03, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
Tail Wind,
    Here's a couple of it assembled, still missing some cosmetic stuff.

AJ,
   Backing probably is'nt a option on this one, although thinking about it, might be kind of cool.  Maybe do it with a switch to back out of the hanger.

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
« Reply #17889 on: July 03, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »

You know it never ceases to amaze me how just putting a plane together will make it look better than when it's in the box  :)

I decided to spend today and put the new Maggie together, I still have to hook up and the control rods and program it but I just wanted to go ahead and build it
pretty easy, nothing really more than glueing the tail on and putting the LG together
here's a couple pics,,,,,,,, like I said it just ammazes me how just putting it together makes it look better  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Looks good AJ,  Wanna trade?  I'll finish yours, you finish Elaine's
I even have a wiring diagram glued to the bottom of the center section, makes easy work of connecting the RX's ;D
I swear to god , only 10 hours left. :D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:34:42 PM by P-61 Builder »

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
« Reply #17890 on: July 03, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
You are all probably wondering why the strut shocks are on the outside of the wheels, so did I when I first took a pic several months ago. You guys missed it then. ;D

I thought this can't be right and tried to fix it by moving the retracts, to no avail, retracts have to go in this way as moving them made them collide with the side of the fuse booms.  Even tried just moving the struts, no go on that either.  >:( >:( >:(   Bad move by ASM.  Oh Well!!  Doo-Doo happens!

Offline Loubud

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #17891 on: July 03, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
AJ
How'd you do the stripes on the Maggi? Looks FAB.

Mac,
Nice job. Another 10 hours? What is this? A 60 hour build for an ARF?  :o
Me thinketh I owe you big time but have an answer for that. 8)
Vegetarian. Old Indian word meaning Lousy Hunter.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."
Thomas Jefferson

(It's all Terry's fault)

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #17892 on: July 03, 2010, 01:14:09 PM »
You know Mac all this time and I thought you were working on this rather large plane, but now I see it's just a little park flyer

you would have got away with your little ruse if you hadn't made the mistake of leaving the coke bottle beside the tiny door to the tiny room you have been taking pics of that little plane in  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:20:16 PM by AceJ1200 »

local club

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #17893 on: July 03, 2010, 01:16:17 PM »
OK serious question
Brad you may be able to answer this better as you are looking at the same thing I am
do you think the stock set up could handle a 3S lipo or would it cook the ESC and motor
stock batt is a 9.4 V

local club

Offline export!

• I try to keep the site running
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Skunkworks North
« Reply #17894 on: July 03, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »
Mac, yeah, no 5 blade for me. Actually I think I may have found a 4 blade prop that will work.

OK, as many times as I have gone to look at the pictures of the Sea Fury model on Nitroplanes, you would think I would have noticed something wrong with this picture before...

SWEET!!
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."

"Ace, It's small. Just sneak it in the back door." - Loubud