Author Topic: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?  (Read 54541 times)

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
Re: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?
« Reply #1305 on: October 10, 2017, 07:59:09 AM »
In my eyes I think it's going to be tough to nail because the car isn't symmetrical.  My mind gets hung up on that.

yeah that's what I mean about the 2 tone paint, it makes it stand out and scream at you. I'm hoping when I repaint it to a solid color it will make it blend in better
been playing with a little side skirt this morning and I think it makes a huge difference in the effect looking at it from the side, makes it just flow from the nose to the wheel. still have to do some work on it so no pictures yet
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:00:40 AM by AceJ »
Well I flew it up there,,, now how do we get it down,,,,,,,,, NO MARK put that gun away

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1306 on: October 11, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »
OK I couldn't handle the look, it was just too big for the car. So I took it back off and cut it down some more, I removed about 1" from the top or the top row. I think it looks better now.
Well I flew it up there,,, now how do we get it down,,,,,,,,, NO MARK put that gun away

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1307 on: October 12, 2017, 02:31:11 AM »
Dang AJ, Great work!  Yep last photo looks better.  Like Scott said you are fighting the design of the cart. Too much going on, on the right side of it. Keeps pulling your eyes to it.

Maybe some things to try. #1 if you can adjust the angle of the cart, it's leaning to the right, which adds to the pulling your eyes away. Possibly cant it slightly to the left to help keep the view centered. Will make it look like it's tucking into the bike instead of trying to pull away.

Ditch the headlamp it's just out of place with the set up and adds to the eye pull. Mount an LED lamp inside the hood scoop if you need the light.

Could even ditch the side mirror, it doesn't match the rest of the bike, and it's huge, so again the eyes go to it as it sticks out.
Maybe incorporate a pair of small mirrors that blend into the fiberglass, like 2" versions. A pair of cheap gauge covers would do, for a set up, attach mirrors instead of gauges, and glass them in on either side of the cockpit.

And yep paint can help or hinder. You need something like a design or stripe that wraps across the front to pull the eyes back to the center of the set up instead of away from it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:58:46 AM by Glacier Girl »
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1308 on: October 12, 2017, 03:14:00 AM »
Oh hello, since we're redoing it, dump the fake hood scoop too, it screams J.C. Whitney. Like said, mount a headlamp there, like a Gold Wing needs another head lamp. ::)  But French it in, bury it inside, look how your other lamps are blended into the bike. You would need to match the look instead of doing the opposite.

Dump the square tail light. It doesn't match the bike. Again pulling the eyes away. Incorporate a similar design, a bar of lamps across the back with a slight wrap around on the right side. Right side would act as tail lamp/turn signal, bar across would be tail lamp. Possibly use the same lamp that the GW uses on the right side, and then use led strips on the center bar.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:17:31 AM by Glacier Girl »
What? Me worry?

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1309 on: October 12, 2017, 03:21:46 AM »
first off thank you for the Kudo's, it's in the very beginning stages so right now everything is liquid and all thoughts are welcome

Maybe some things to try. #1 if you can adjust the angle of the cart, it's leaning to the right, which adds to the pulling your eyes away. Possibly cant it slightly to the left to help keep the view centered. Will make it look like it's tucking into the bike instead of trying to pull away.
the lean is only because I'm not sitting on the bike, by design it's set up to sit level when loaded, so when I'm on it it is level

Ditch the headlamp it's just out of place with the set up and adds to the eye pull. Mount an LED lamp inside the hood scoop if you need the light.
yep the headlight is going away, can't put it in the scoop as the scoop is an active air vent for the inside of the car. I have a valve on the inside that the rider can open to get fresh air. I have a couple ideas but nothing for sure yet

Could even ditch the side mirror, it doesn't match the rest of the bike, and it's huge, so again the eyes go to it as it sticks out.
Maybe incorporate a pair of small mirrors that blend into the fiberglass, like 2" versions. A pair of cheap gauge covers would do, for a set up, attach mirrors instead of gauges, and glass them in on either side of the cockpit.
I kind of like the mirror, but I'm on the lookout for one from a 1500 so it would match the bike

And yep paint can help or hinder. You need something like a design or stripe that wraps across the front to pull the eyes back to the center of the set up instead of away from it.
OK when you say a stripe that wraps across the front, how do you mean

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1310 on: October 12, 2017, 03:27:36 AM »
Oh hello, since we're redoing it, dump the fake hood scoop too, it screams J.C. Whitney. Like said, mount a headlamp there, like a Gold Wing needs another head lamp. ::)  But French it in, bury it inside, look how your other lamps are blended into the bike. You would need to match the look instead of doing the opposite.

Dump the square tail light. It doesn't match the bike. Again pulling the eyes away. Incorporate a similar design, a bar of lamps across the back with a slight wrap around on the right side. Right side would act as tail lamp/turn signal, bar across would be tail lamp. Possibly use the same lamp that the GW uses on the right side, and then use led strips on the center bar.

well ahead of you there  ;D I have bought all the saddle bags and rear valances to build across the back, when done the rear of the car will look just like the rear of the bike

if I had a better scoop I would replace it, maybe I will look for one

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1311 on: October 13, 2017, 03:32:19 AM »
Well you could always glass the scoop in, the way it looks now it's an add on not part of the body. Use fillets of glass to round the sides and the rear of the scoop so it flows into the body vs looking like someone slapped it on.

You can use a stripe(s) or design to make the eye look in a direction. Think about a pyramid, your eye automatically follows the shape to the top. Something similar, like say a stripe that starts at the front left side and goes to the right rear of the cart front end would pull the eye towards the center of the bike, instead of the eye just seeing the side cart. Using the pyramid effect you have the stripe(s) wider at the front and shrink as they go across, the eye tends to follow the stripe(s).

Same stripe, even from a side view would pull the eye to the bike, instead of the eye concentrating on the side of the cart.

Think if you are standing on a long straight road (don't get run over).  ;D  Where do your eyes immediately go? All the way out to the smallest point. All that is, is a stripe pulling your eyes.

You could even use a stripe that starts at the left front of the cart and angles back to the right rear, across the front. It would pull the eye back and to the right of the cart.  Heck you work on trucks, even notice how the warning reflector tape is angled on some of them? It pulls the eye in a direction, so you don't run into the back of it.

Excuse the poor illustration but might give you an idea of how to move the eye from one spot to another.
What? Me worry?

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1312 on: October 13, 2017, 04:26:51 AM »
OK that makes sense.
I had planned on glassing the hood scoop, just not sure I will stick with that one. I only put it on because I don't like the floor vents they make to get air into the car. I think I will look for a nicer one, that scoop and the mirror were freebee's  :D
I put a small piece of trim under the side from the tire to the spoiler, it is too small but I really like the look so I will look for a better one that I can modify to fit that has more of a contoured side skirt kind of look
next I'm going to start working on the rear

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1313 on: October 14, 2017, 01:26:15 AM »
Nice! keep the shots coming!
What? Me worry?

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1314 on: October 19, 2017, 05:41:15 AM »
a little more progress. I removed the rear bumper/light bar and mud flap from the rear so I could test fit parts as I go. I started cutting down the saddle bags until I got the pieces I need to make the new look
the actual build part now may go slow from here as I have to do it in small stages

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1315 on: October 20, 2017, 03:15:45 AM »
did a little more cutting and was able to do the first test fit of all the pieces. pretty pleased with the results so far
now I will get them all bonded back together and get the taillight housings rebuilt to match the new design