Author Topic: OrangeRx DSM2 from HobbyKing  (Read 2893 times)

Offline ferndale

• Fighter Pilot
OrangeRx DSM2 from HobbyKing
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »
I am just beginning my testing, but I did a range check and obviously a bind procedure.  I climbed about 75% of the cemetary hill prior to my first, and last range test, of the day.

But let's start with the basics.  It is in a solid little plastic box, it has a port for a secondary rx/antenna rig, but only has one on board antennas.  The AR6400 series rx's from HH only have one antenna, and I have read that while the AR6100 series rx's have 2 antenna wires, they go to the same post.  The guy that wrote the post seemed to be saying that the AR6100's were not truly dual antenna rx's.  I can only pass on my impressions on that conversation.  I do know that the AR7000 has more going on inside it.  I have 3 of the AR6100 series rx's and use/used them on multiple planes with no range issues at all.

So, according to Goggle Earth I was approximately 100' above and 162+/- yds away and the Bug's aileron whipped fast enough that it fell over in the truck ::).    My fm range test covers less distance, but I keep the antenna down.  My initial feeling is that these will be great for the parkflyers, even somewhat larger planes with the secondary antenna.  If you are flying an $1800 AJ Slick with this radio, well if it fails you deserve it.  But I am guessing it won't.  I guess I will attach mine to the Pitt's first.  And let it try that out.  I will also leave all the AR6100 trims in place if possible.  I am trying to figure out a way to get a serious range check.  But a flight check will be next.  I am good for my home flight bowl.

Physical facts of my OrangeRx, it weighs in at 10.6g, not 3.7g as indicated by HC.  A SombraLabs 72mghz rx weighs in at 8.8 with crystal and velcro, an AR6100 series rx weighs in at around 4.3g per HC.  I think the weight is the box and the not shown circuitry and port to allow remote antenna/rx rigs.  My dimms are length 43.1mm x width 22.3mm x height 12.9mm.  If you wanted to lose the box, you could get to the paper covered AR6100 weights

From my range check, I feel confident that this is a worthy RX.  The fact that I ran a search on it and found no "avoid the OrangeRx" stories and that HH has amended their statement to include "counterfeit" rx's

And some pics, some are just because I was up their ;D

Fern
...Keep flying the plane....

Hot Glue, the Bondo of the airplane repair world

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
Re: OrangeRx DSM2 from HobbyKing
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
Tim what do you think about removing the box and heat shrinking the components inside it for a lighter set up?
Be easy enough to trim around the servo plugs. Would give you something to glue to, and still provide some protection to the rx.
What? Me worry?

Offline ferndale

• Fighter Pilot
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »
Brad, I think that is very doable.  HC sells a heat shrunk(?) version for a  buck more, but I have not read anywhere that it has the port for the secondary rx/antenna.  

The Pitt's is RTF.  Everything in the DX7 seems to match with both the AR6100 and the OrangeRx as far as settings go.  It is actually drizzling here now, but the plane is RTF.  And from the range test I think the Orange Rx's are going to be good.  And a couple of extra grams at radio central, vs the extra cash seems off.  And drilling the case also come to mind.  We are talking about 7 grams.  I think this rx is good any plane over the AR6400 bricks.  At least the stuff I like to fly.  Quick 3D stuf or super stable small planes, or a variation of both ;D

I will, hopefully, wring out the OrangeRx tomorrow.

Fern

The third pic is a "telephoto" zoom into my test subject.  That gives some distance value I hope.

Fern
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:17:42 PM by ferndale »

Offline ferndale

• Fighter Pilot
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »
I flew the Orange RX 3 times this afternoon/evening. 

The first flight was just a climb out and feel around for the RX.  I took it to probably 200' and ran it farther east than I went with the static range test.  I am feeling confident that this a true line of sight rx.

Here is the cute part.  It responds faster than my AR6100 rx's.  I am sold.  I hit the throttle on my pitts and it spun the prop so hard it popped partially off the adapter.  This was at altitude during a complete servo switch I switched the axis on every gimbal and the hit the power and semi spit the prop.  I have done the same thing with My Ar6100 and had a different outcome. 

Overall, up to now, I really feel the OrangeRx, is superior to the AR 6100 series of  TX's.  I am flying on a DX7, but the difference in the immediacy of any input is amazing.  I went from FM and the plane would hover.  I went to OrangeRX and hovering became easy.  Well at least I was not lagging.  And this was at 100'.  I am sold.  I have some on backorder, and I will keep ordering a couple a month until I have spares.

Fern

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:09:02 AM »
Nice report, good to have alternatives.  I see they just now sent out an email that they have the Futaba FAST system clones out too.
Bummer I still have the DX6, as it's DSM1............... Though I do have the DSM2 tx from one of the birds I bought. I think it's only a 4 channel thou.   Oh well.

As is I got too many tx's again. Got the Futaba 7, the fore mentioned DX6, the 4 channel DSM2, the EVO, and a couple of  those Badius tx's laying around.  My Flash 4 is going out with Mac's old trainer to Sean so that's one less to worry about.

Cripes you'd think I'd stick with one tx.   I'll work on that after I get around to switching all those Deans plugs to EC3's and 6's. ;D
What? Me worry?

Offline ferndale

• Fighter Pilot
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:29:11 AM »
HH was having a trade in sale for the DX6, I do not know if they are still doing it.  You'd want to trade up to a dx7 or 8 though.

Fern

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 02:25:39 PM »
The DSM2 will run the DSM1 rx's right?   Otherwise I'm looking at a dozen rx purchases to change over. :-\
What? Me worry?

Offline ferndale

• Fighter Pilot
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:11 PM »
Brad, I have no personal experience with this, but according to this guy your RX's are still good to go if you jump to DSM2,  http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/spektrum-rc.html   .  Of my TX's, the "good" ones, Optic 6, Eclipse 7, and the DX7, I think the DX7 is the best.  I want a DX8, I think that will be the end of my tx hunt.  But I have years to figure that out.

OK, I flew 3 more flights with the OrangeRx rx.  The first was with a wonky prop.  I changed out the prop and prop saver, and went flying.  I did every screwy thing I could come up with, and the rx handled the inputs smoothly and immediately. My last flight was a third range finder flight.  I exceeded 200' and then went on a patrol.  I am confident I exceeded 200 yds and think I was in the 225yd arena, this was at 200'.  Then I climbed up to 1/4" land, and did some circuits, then did a roll and started to land.  I did slow descending circles  And landed safely.

The point is that I took the OrangeRx high and far, and it was flawless.

Fern   

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 03:25:12 AM »
Sounds like it's a winner.
What? Me worry?

Offline Tail wind

• Pilot in Training
  • It's always the transmitter's fault
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »
I now own 3 of these, but have only bench tested one :-[ successfully I might add.
Need to repair Unique and put one on it.
Don't let your failures over shadow your successes!

Offline ferndale

• Fighter Pilot
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
I am into double digits with this RX and I do not even worry about it anymore.  I may order a couple of 4 channel ones while I wait for the boxed version.

Fern

Offline calvino

• Pilot in Training
    • Get stuff 3D printed
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
My Tri-copter came with an orange 6-channel RX similar to what Tim is talking about and honestly it works great. I have more issues with loosing view of the tricopter/the FPV video breaking up forcing me to turn around than the signal dropping out. My friend who I got the tri from is a bit more balzy than me and I get the idea he really pushed the receiver to the limit and it held up great signals wise!