Author Topic: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?  (Read 50855 times)

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
Re: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?
« Reply #1245 on: February 17, 2017, 04:59:09 AM »
I'll bet that was pricey!

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1246 on: February 18, 2017, 04:49:03 AM »
Yeah :'(  More in parts so far then the price of the car.
Oh well, can't spend it when I'm dead, might as well have some fun while I can.

Actually it's really enjoyable, I love to learn about things, no matter what it is. So now, I get to share what I know about setting up a car with Shane, and he's showing me the ins and outs of electronic wizardry programming. The stuff you can do with the car's computer and how it can change/adjust the engine and drivetrain is mind boggling.

Things we could never get around without some serious mechanical reworking are now just a couple of clicks in the lap top.

Remove the EGR (pollution controls) frees up roughly 15 horsepower, and drops 8.5 pounds of weight. In my day that meant retune the carb and timing, and pulling the bulb for the check engine lamp now on.

On the EVO, 3 clicks in the programming, and it makes the car think the system is still there, won't turn it on, and can still pass a smog/emission test. 

I learned that trick from Scott's evil Volkswagen diesel folks.  You know how they skunked the Fed emission standards on those smoke belching cars.

I did have to get back and show Shane his old man still knows a couple of tricks too. On turbo engines, at boost, there is a huge amount of back pressure/blowby in the engine. Makes everything work harder, reduces oil flow back to the pan, and can push oil into the turbo. So bad it can blow the engine oil dipstick and oil out of the car. All not good things.  Depending on how you look at it, it can be a big problem or an easy fix.

The fix is an easy one. Think of the car as having gas, how do you get rid of gas? Burp or fart.  ::) Pretty simple.
The current fix is a fart. They plum the engine valve cover to exhaust the blowby into a catch can. That's fine, but then they plumb it back into the engine. What they are doing is dumping oil, unburnt fuel, and moisture, either back into the intake, or straight into the oil pan. None of those things are good for an engine.

Their other problem was not thinking it through. Where you exhaust the blowby. The current crop of folks use three lines to exhaust blow by, but they didn't consider what is happening inside the valve cover. Pair of camshafts spinning, and lifters flying up and down spewing oil.  Mitsubishi installed baffles in the valve cover to control the splashing, and it tends to force it one way.  Yep right where these guys have their blow by tubes. So they see large amounts of oil going into a catch can, and not back to the engine till it gets plumbed back. Along with the crap mixed with it.

I took the cover apart and traced the flow. Pretty ingenious Japs. the way it's designed almost no oil makes it past, but blowby can. More not thinking it through.  The PCV system that is to take that blowby and pump it into the intake to burn, does not work under boost. Not enough vacuum in the system to function. 

I installed one line 5/8" into the valve cover opposite the side of everyone else. Guess what? There is no oil getting sprayed into it, just plain old blow by gasses. We get maybe a teaspoon of oil in the can after a day's racing. All the other crap never sees the engine again.  Bonus is we get the same fixes, more horsepower, better oil flow, and no contamination of the oil.

The old dog beat the new crop. I remembered the good old days. We didn't have PCV valves, valve covers had blow by tubes hooked to the valve covers. All the blow by got dumped out onto the road.

Best part was seeing Shane's face as his brain finally saw the light of what I did.
What? Me worry?

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
« Reply #1247 on: February 18, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »
Damn!  Your quite up to speed on the rice grinders!
All I know is a small block chevy, and that ain't much.
I once had a built chevyII, built by my neighbor who was a racing guru, promptly crashed it 30 days after I bought it. (not my fault)
Fortunately he worked at State Farm and got me a settlement even though I shouldn't have gotten one. Crashed at an open intersection, no one's fault.
Sold the salvage for about what I paid for it.  $600 plus got a $300 check from State Farm, paid $650 for it. It was all engine, no car. 1963 Chevy II.

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1248 on: March 06, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
I grew up at the right time I think, when racing was fun, and folks used their brains to go faster, and handle better.
We didn't have computers, CNC, and such, folks had to improvise. One of my idols was Smokey Yunick, that man was a genius when it came to fast cars. He looked at what rules said, and most importantly what they didn't.  ;)

And he used that to go fast, run longer, and handle better.

Well, we plan on following his lead. Weight is evil and we are going to do our damndest to beat it. Or I guess loose it.

Check out the rear diff and mounts. You are looking at a 17 pound weight loss there. Replaced cast iron parts with aluminum and chrome moly. Lighter and stronger.

Per the rules we have to have a working HVAC system. Hmm, A/C was an option on the car, so it went bye bye, loss of approx 35 pounds under the hood.
And if we didn't need the A/C under the hood, why keep it under the dash? I gutted the evap case and blower housing, keeping only the defrost function, heater core, and blower motor.  Another 8 pounds of dead weight gone.

I'll be looking at the dash next for the Yunick weight loss program, and there's a ton to be lost there. 

Also since we have a bunch of spare parts now...  Rather then pulling pieces off the new car, we are taking the old one's units and doing the lightweight parts to them. Basically 3 units, rear drive/suspension, front drive/suspension, and interior.

All done they will each go into the new car, like a set of kits. Luckily anything we don't need from the old, or remove from the new car sell like hot cakes, so that's more money to go into the racing fund. Sold the two good wheels and 2 used tires from the old car to a guy for $1250.00, way better then hanging them on the wall of the garage.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1249 on: March 06, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
Funny I just thought of something. How hobbies intertwine. In the airplanes we looked at making them better for performance, used "alien" materials from the old standards to make them lighter and stronger and faster. We came up with other ways of performance, batteries vs fuels, lipos vs nicads, brushless motors vs brushed, 2.4 vs fm and am, tricking motors by upping the volts and dropping the amps.  We looked at Watt's rule, and saw what it didn't say, in a way, and used it to our advantage.

Pretty neat.
What? Me worry?