Author Topic: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?  (Read 53248 times)

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
Re: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?
« Reply #1245 on: February 17, 2017, 04:59:09 AM »
I'll bet that was pricey!

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1246 on: February 18, 2017, 04:49:03 AM »
Yeah :'(  More in parts so far then the price of the car.
Oh well, can't spend it when I'm dead, might as well have some fun while I can.

Actually it's really enjoyable, I love to learn about things, no matter what it is. So now, I get to share what I know about setting up a car with Shane, and he's showing me the ins and outs of electronic wizardry programming. The stuff you can do with the car's computer and how it can change/adjust the engine and drivetrain is mind boggling.

Things we could never get around without some serious mechanical reworking are now just a couple of clicks in the lap top.

Remove the EGR (pollution controls) frees up roughly 15 horsepower, and drops 8.5 pounds of weight. In my day that meant retune the carb and timing, and pulling the bulb for the check engine lamp now on.

On the EVO, 3 clicks in the programming, and it makes the car think the system is still there, won't turn it on, and can still pass a smog/emission test. 

I learned that trick from Scott's evil Volkswagen diesel folks.  You know how they skunked the Fed emission standards on those smoke belching cars.

I did have to get back and show Shane his old man still knows a couple of tricks too. On turbo engines, at boost, there is a huge amount of back pressure/blowby in the engine. Makes everything work harder, reduces oil flow back to the pan, and can push oil into the turbo. So bad it can blow the engine oil dipstick and oil out of the car. All not good things.  Depending on how you look at it, it can be a big problem or an easy fix.

The fix is an easy one. Think of the car as having gas, how do you get rid of gas? Burp or fart.  ::) Pretty simple.
The current fix is a fart. They plum the engine valve cover to exhaust the blowby into a catch can. That's fine, but then they plumb it back into the engine. What they are doing is dumping oil, unburnt fuel, and moisture, either back into the intake, or straight into the oil pan. None of those things are good for an engine.

Their other problem was not thinking it through. Where you exhaust the blowby. The current crop of folks use three lines to exhaust blow by, but they didn't consider what is happening inside the valve cover. Pair of camshafts spinning, and lifters flying up and down spewing oil.  Mitsubishi installed baffles in the valve cover to control the splashing, and it tends to force it one way.  Yep right where these guys have their blow by tubes. So they see large amounts of oil going into a catch can, and not back to the engine till it gets plumbed back. Along with the crap mixed with it.

I took the cover apart and traced the flow. Pretty ingenious Japs. the way it's designed almost no oil makes it past, but blowby can. More not thinking it through.  The PCV system that is to take that blowby and pump it into the intake to burn, does not work under boost. Not enough vacuum in the system to function. 

I installed one line 5/8" into the valve cover opposite the side of everyone else. Guess what? There is no oil getting sprayed into it, just plain old blow by gasses. We get maybe a teaspoon of oil in the can after a day's racing. All the other crap never sees the engine again.  Bonus is we get the same fixes, more horsepower, better oil flow, and no contamination of the oil.

The old dog beat the new crop. I remembered the good old days. We didn't have PCV valves, valve covers had blow by tubes hooked to the valve covers. All the blow by got dumped out onto the road.

Best part was seeing Shane's face as his brain finally saw the light of what I did.
What? Me worry?

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
« Reply #1247 on: February 18, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »
Damn!  Your quite up to speed on the rice grinders!
All I know is a small block chevy, and that ain't much.
I once had a built chevyII, built by my neighbor who was a racing guru, promptly crashed it 30 days after I bought it. (not my fault)
Fortunately he worked at State Farm and got me a settlement even though I shouldn't have gotten one. Crashed at an open intersection, no one's fault.
Sold the salvage for about what I paid for it.  $600 plus got a $300 check from State Farm, paid $650 for it. It was all engine, no car. 1963 Chevy II.

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1248 on: March 06, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
I grew up at the right time I think, when racing was fun, and folks used their brains to go faster, and handle better.
We didn't have computers, CNC, and such, folks had to improvise. One of my idols was Smokey Yunick, that man was a genius when it came to fast cars. He looked at what rules said, and most importantly what they didn't.  ;)

And he used that to go fast, run longer, and handle better.

Well, we plan on following his lead. Weight is evil and we are going to do our damndest to beat it. Or I guess loose it.

Check out the rear diff and mounts. You are looking at a 17 pound weight loss there. Replaced cast iron parts with aluminum and chrome moly. Lighter and stronger.

Per the rules we have to have a working HVAC system. Hmm, A/C was an option on the car, so it went bye bye, loss of approx 35 pounds under the hood.
And if we didn't need the A/C under the hood, why keep it under the dash? I gutted the evap case and blower housing, keeping only the defrost function, heater core, and blower motor.  Another 8 pounds of dead weight gone.

I'll be looking at the dash next for the Yunick weight loss program, and there's a ton to be lost there. 

Also since we have a bunch of spare parts now...  Rather then pulling pieces off the new car, we are taking the old one's units and doing the lightweight parts to them. Basically 3 units, rear drive/suspension, front drive/suspension, and interior.

All done they will each go into the new car, like a set of kits. Luckily anything we don't need from the old, or remove from the new car sell like hot cakes, so that's more money to go into the racing fund. Sold the two good wheels and 2 used tires from the old car to a guy for $1250.00, way better then hanging them on the wall of the garage.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1249 on: March 06, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
Funny I just thought of something. How hobbies intertwine. In the airplanes we looked at making them better for performance, used "alien" materials from the old standards to make them lighter and stronger and faster. We came up with other ways of performance, batteries vs fuels, lipos vs nicads, brushless motors vs brushed, 2.4 vs fm and am, tricking motors by upping the volts and dropping the amps.  We looked at Watt's rule, and saw what it didn't say, in a way, and used it to our advantage.

Pretty neat.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1250 on: March 26, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
Anywho, out with the old, rusted, grimy parts and in with the new lightweight stuff.  All spherical bearings, no bushings, and somewhere around 20 adjustments capable per side.
What? Me worry?

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1251 on: March 27, 2017, 06:48:06 AM »
am I seeing that correctly, is that a 4 door  :o seems like that alone would be a lot of added weight compared to a 2 door
Well I flew it up there,,, now how do we get it down,,,,,,,,, NO MARK put that gun away

Offline NYFlyer

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1252 on: March 27, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
Mmmmmmm pretty shiny bits!!!!

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1253 on: March 28, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »
The EVO was only available as a 4 door, the Lancer was the 2 door model, was originally designed as a rally car market vehicle.
Longer wheelbase makes for better handling.  And with things like aluminum used in some of the body panels and roof, it's not that bad.  They make aftermarket fiberglass quarter panels that cover the rear door area, making it look like a coupe, but they are heavy.   

Stock is around 3200 pounds, when finished we should be around 2500 pounds.  2500 and around @500 hp at the wheels should make for a pretty quick car, and with the suspension mods and wider tires/wheels should handle like it's glued to the track.  ;)

Phil not only do they make the car handle better, but sponsors like shiney stuff for advertising their wares.

These folks, Mitsubishi, knew their stuff, heck they built the Zero too.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1254 on: April 03, 2017, 01:22:56 AM »
Anywho, keeping the Boo Boo's coming. Yesterday which should have been an easy 3 hour front suspension swap, turned into an all day marathon. First we had 90+degree heat and 100% humidity to deal with. Why we don't work in my shop with A/C is crazy.

Then having to deal with Northern rust on the various fasteners didn't help. But the biggie was one simple bolt that took me around 2 hours to remove.   ::)  Let me elaborate. Upper suspension dog bone mount. The bolt can go in 2 ways, the right way and the way the previous owner installed it. The nut came right off. Said bolt did not.

The way it was installed meant using a wrench to turn it 1/8th of a turn, before hitting the firewall, to remove it. Also once about half way out, it was hitting on part of the motor mount. Which meant jacking the motor up  to allow the bolt to clear, which in turn put pressure on the suspension mount making turning the bolt harder.  Note: this bolt sits behind and below the motor, and to get to it you have to insert your arms down between a myriad of sharp fasteners/clips/lines/hoses/etc between the motor and the firewall.  One hand/arm to keep the wrench from slipping off the bolt, and removing/installing it after each turn. The other hand/arm moving the wrench back and forth to work the bolt out. Each movement of either appendage causing it to jab into something sharp. Which in turn causes bleeding which makes things slippery when trying to grasp them.

After about 2000 turns of the wrench, I was able to wiggle it out. In the mean time I was bleeding all over the car. Today my arms looks like I have the Black Plague, big purple splotches cover them from wrist past my elbows.

If I ever meet the previous owner, I'm going to slap them silly.

And to top off my near heat stroke blood loss day, Shane put the rear differential from the new car, on my front passenger floor. We didn't know the condition inside it, so I said I would take it home to inspect it.

Bout half way home I started getting the smell of old worn out rear end fluid. Not a pleasant smell. Look down at the diff and see it had rolled on it's side. Allowing the oil to pour out of one of the axle shaft holes.  What a mess! Luckily the deep floor mat managed to catch most of it.  When I got home, beat up/bruised/exhausted, I had to scrub the mat and carpet, and degrease the diff, before I could go in the house.

What a day. ::)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:28:56 AM by Glacier Girl »
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1255 on: April 03, 2017, 01:22:07 PM »
Ran into a surprise today. I tore down the rear differential from the new car. Seems that when Mitsubishi put it together they toned down it's reaction to input by stacking the plates and friction discs in an odd way. This kept the rear of the car from kicking out on hard throttle application. They did this to every Evo 9 they built.

So You take out the guts and restack the plates to get more bite. Not a bad job at all, and even easier since we had done it on the last car.

SURPRISE!!!  I get the rear cover off, and pull the ring gear assembly out, and something doesn't look right.

Mitsubishi does not laser etch the ring gear case.  HOLY BAT SHEEP!!!  this thing has a pro built 12 plate set up in it! Stock is an 8 plate set up.

Somewhere along the line somebody dumped some serious cash into this. I looked up the company, they magnaflux it all, install new bearings, shims, side plate, shot peen the gears, and reset all the tolerances and more.
What? Me worry?

Offline export!

• I try to keep the site running
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Skunkworks North
« Reply #1256 on: April 03, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »
Are you saying the rear differential has a clutch (of sorts) in it?
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1257 on: April 05, 2017, 02:26:07 AM »
Yes. Actually in this case 12 of them. There are 7 metal plates and 6 fiber plates inside the case. All stacked in order metal/fiber/metal/fiber/etc. It's what's known as a positraction/ limited slip unit. Drives both wheels the same going straight, yet allows them to turn different speeds on turns, via the clutches slipping. Slightly.

Auto transmissions use a similar metal/fiber plate arrangement in them.

Anywho, the thing with a true posi unit is drivability. Set up hard, and it won't allow the inside wheel on a turn to slip as much. This tends to make the rear of the car kick out in a turn, or what's called oversteer. Not to bad if you are off the throttle going into a turn, but whoa baby when you hammer the throttle coming out of the turn. The rear of the car will want to jump over, away from the turn, pointing the nose of the car in tighter to the turn, like you turned the steering wheel too far, aka oversteer.

When Mitsubishi built these cars they deemed the American public were pansies, unable to handle that much of bite in the rear end.
So how they "fixed" it was to change the order of the plates so that it couldn't grab as hard.

For performance minded folks, they put the order back to the correct placement. Actually wasn't that bad to drive, as being an all wheel drive the front wheels pull the front of the car out also, on acceleration on a turn. So instead of the rear kicking out, the whole car drifted out. The transfer case is electronic, it can tell what is going on front to back wheels, and can split the power to them. So if the back is grabbing hard, it applies more power to the front to match it.

The transfer case from the factory is so smart it has pre programmed settings in it. On the dash is a 3 position switch, tarmac, gravel, and wet. Setting the switch tells the transfer case how to adjust the mix between front and rear. And of course someone figured out how to hack it so you can modify the settings.

Now after all that, the stock unit used an 8 clutch pack, and somewhere along the line racers decided it wasn't giving enough grip, and so someone bored out the case so they could fit a 12 pack set up. It locks up the rear end even harder. So much so that, in slow tight turns the inside wheel will actually squeal the tire as it's turning as fast as the outside wheel.

Not something you want to drive on the street as a daily driver.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1258 on: April 21, 2017, 03:13:11 AM »
First off sometimes you really need to make sure what you say to someone is what you mean and not what they heard.

We have new race bumper covers for the car. Need painted. Tell Shane to drop them off at the body shop with a piece of the car so they can match the paint.  For some reason this car is not truly black, catch it in the sun and it has a purple metallic flake in the color.

Up at the shop I see there is a 1 foot square missing from the stock rear bumper cover. ?????? ??? ???

When asked, am told he couldn't fit three bumpers in the trunk to take to the shop.  Remind son that the beater he bought, a BMW convertible, could have held all three with the top down.  "It's Florida, it's not cold, and it hasn't rained in weeks". 

"Oh" ::)

Oh well, the Mitchell Racing emporium of new used and abused EVO parts keeps growing.  Cripes, lets see, we have all the parts taken off the first one, when it was converted. Then there's all the parts we scavenged off of it.  Then add all the parts removed from the new car, and toss in the ever growing piles of race parts that keep showing up.

Something like 4 sets of bumpers, some damaged.  ::) spare engine and trans and diffs., 4 doors, glass, 2 complete stock interiors, yep 8 seats, bunch of seat belts, 2 carpets, 2 headliners, a sunroof, all the trim x 2, and a 5 gallon bucket of fasteners.  Pair of complete dashes and consoles, 4 air bags, 3 complete suspensions/coil overs and one steering rack, 3 sets of brake calipers. 5 sets of wheels and tires. Lets not forget the trunk lid and wing of which we now have at least 4 wings somewhere in the piles.
Oil coolers, radiators, 2 a/c complete systems, a fender, spare tires, trunk trim, jacks, stereos and amps and speakers.

Did I mention the drop shipment that's supposed to show up of more race parts, due today or Saturday?  Fuel injectors, fuel pumps, roll cage #2, wide band map sensor, all the new harnesses and and laptop for tuning, dual stage fire suppression system, big turbo, and stroker kit/ crank/rods/bearings/pistons/cams/gaskets/seals/etc.

Or one of our sponsors (finally getting some) sending 4 more wheels and tires yesterday.

This has gotten so far out of hand so quick. We got one month to have the car ready for testing, already paid for the track time, and it's not refundable.  Still need to pick up a trailer too.

I told Shane, this weekend is clearance weekend. Everything must go!  All stuff we don't need will be cleaned, photographed, and put up for sale on the EVO forum.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1259 on: April 24, 2017, 04:37:12 AM »
And another 13 hour wrenching session.   :'(
Pulled the stock front bumper off, and the impact bar, followed by the intercooler, radiator, and every bit of the a/c system under the hood.  Then it was all the piping for the turbo, the battery and a bunch of useless brackets and the ACD pump system.

Jump to inside the car, and yanked the complete dash out. Replaced the stock evaporator/heater case and blower housing with the lightweight modded ones.  Laid out the new gages/wiring and track timer for install. Added the plate for the fire suppression pull handle.  Reinstalled the dash.   Installed and removed the new roll bars, three times, to get everything lined up for final installation, after it gets painted.

After that it was pull the intake and turbo assy. off the old engine. Those will get the new turbo and fuel injectors installed in them. Then it's just a matter of swapping them into the new car.

And to end the day, it was two runs to the now second garage to store even more parts in.

Anywho, dropped around 150 pounds out of the front end, we weighed old vs new parts and old parts not going back on the car.  ;)

Today it's finally raining, so no flying.  I have to run over to Race Car Engineering to swap out the wrong fire system they sent and pick up the fuel jugs they forgot to ship.  ::)
What? Me worry?