Author Topic: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?  (Read 52275 times)

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
Re: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?
« Reply #1260 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:22 AM »
wow you guys are really moving along with the rebuild
looking forward to seeing some pictures of it once it's ready to hit the track
Well I flew it up there,,, now how do we get it down,,,,,,,,, NO MARK put that gun away

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1261 on: April 26, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
Yeah it's like an Apollo launch countdown. We have a track rented for May 27th for testing, and it's not refundable, so not real sure what kind of car we'll have there. LOL!  Pretty much  it's all those lots of little things that have to be finished and that's a big list.

Anywho, I may have come up with a small time saver. Part of the work is moving weight around to balance out the car. Like the battery to the trunk.  One of the others is the pump that powers the front differential system. Like the last car, it's getting moved from the front of the engine bay to the trunk. That part is a piece of cake. Couple of holes for fluid lines and mounts. Big not so fun part is running a 5/16th metal line from the front diff down to the rear of the car, over the drive shaft, then back to the pump.

I made it in one piece last time, and of course once made you can't remove it unless you cut it into pieces.

Well, after doing the EGR valve and charcoal canister removal, I have a 5/16th metal line that runs from the front of the car to the rear that now does nothing. So all I need to do is flush it out, then tap it into the front diff, and make a tie in to run to the new pump location. Will save me a couple of hours of bending steel tubing. And a plus, it will look factory as most of it will be.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:01:31 AM by Glacier Girl »
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1262 on: April 28, 2017, 03:10:17 AM »
And just when you think you're gold, it seems old Mr. Murphy doesn't just do airplanes. And this one(s) been a kick between the legs.  :o

Big dollar turbo system, company forgets to send the gaskets and seals for it.  ???

Updated radiator system, no hoses sent, have waited two weeks for them to send. Now they say maybe by July they can get them. And to top it off, they tell Shane he should have called more frequently to check status. This was a kit they said they had in stock, and we paid for. And it's our fault?  ???

And the last one, complete new fuel system, they didn't include the fuel pressure regulator. Can't wait to hear the excuse for that one.  ::)

Well that's three strikes for Modern Automotive Performance.

And a huge thanks to Evasive Motorsports. They've already overnighted the gaskets/seals and hoses for us, course that's extra money spent, and I checked this morning they stock the missing regulator, so most likely it will be coming from them.  ;)
What? Me worry?

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
« Reply #1263 on: April 28, 2017, 11:48:29 PM »
That sounds like the early days of Hobby King.

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1264 on: April 30, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »
Yeah you would think so.  And found out today they also didn't include a fuel rail adapter to hook up the system.

But we carried on. Most of the new dash wiring got completed. While I lost about a pint of blood on all those razor sharp hose spring clamps, while removing the old and installing the new intake system. My arms look like I lost a fight with razor wire.

New injectors in place, still have to remove the old wiring connectors and install new ones as they use a different style connector.
Roll bar all painted and installed. Race seats and harnesses all back where they belong, along with a lot of the interior trim we have to keep.

Shane did some really nice mod work. There was an unused/ false part of the instrument cluster, where they just left it look like a gage could have been. Lot of Dremel work later the wideband* gage now has a new home and looks like it was meant to be there.  He then made up a pair of carbon fiber panels. One replace the the left a/c vent and became the mount for the track timer. The other took the place of the old CD player. It's now the home for the differential bias control, the battery kill switch, and the fire suppression handle.

* Wideband, fancy name for system that reads the fuel mixture through the oxygen sensor in the exhaust. Lets you know if the engine is running too rich or heaven help you, too lean.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1265 on: May 08, 2017, 04:08:20 PM »
Didn't get diddly done on the car this week, but we did get to work on an EVO.

Our friends at RS Motorsports are competing in the Brock Yates/ Tire Rack One Lap of America. Neat competition, car has to be street legal (sorta) and it has to tow it's own tools/fuel/equipment to the event. You race 3 different types of competition, like autocross, road course, drag race, and so on, at the track, then load up, and drive to the next track and do it all over again.

Something like 7 tracks, and 3300 miles not including track miles. And these guys were in 2nd place at the time. Not to shabby as they have like 450 hp, and are running against said street legal cars with 1000 to 1500 hp in some cases.

Anywho, they had a crankshaft fail in Memphis, and Shane offered up our spare engine to them.
They went and rented a Uhaul truck and trailer, loaded up their car and trailer, and hit the road to Tampa.

They got in around 7:30- 8:00 this morning. And we started thrashing. Stripped our engine down, yanked theirs, and stripped off parts to install on the donor. Other than one bolt, always it seems there one, everything else went perfect. At 4:30 we were done, engine fired right up and purred.  No noise, no leaks ready to rock.

It was then a quick clean up and they hightailed it to the next track in Sebring for the races tomorrow.

Got word the car ran like a champ all the way, and they are at the hotel getting some well deserved rest, and a few beers.

Couple of shots of today's adventure, the circus in town. And they crew for today's adventure.
That's our friend and fellow competitor, CJ. Myself, Brandon driver for RS, Ronnie the owner of RS, Shane, and Andy the wrench and co driver at RS.

Was kinda like a Badius Boys meet, same kinda guys.  Oh and since they tend to fly around the track, I made em honorary members of the club. Gave each of them a Badius Boys Tee shirt to wear. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:11:09 PM by Glacier Girl »
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1266 on: May 13, 2017, 04:50:58 AM »
Well there must be some magic in that engine, last race they smoked the field by 5 seconds.  ;D

Has to have em shaking in their boots. This tiny sedan kicking their butts. Check out what they are up against. Vipers, GTR's, Porsches, Corvettes, Mustangs, BMW's. Big horsepower and big budget racers getting wiped off the track, by a car with 1/2 to 1/3 the horsepower.   ??? :o
What? Me worry?

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1267 on: May 15, 2017, 03:58:44 AM »
that is bad arse  8)
Well I flew it up there,,, now how do we get it down,,,,,,,,, NO MARK put that gun away

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1268 on: May 17, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
Forgot to mention they finished with no 4th or 5th gear, and engine was turning 8000 rpm on 28 pounds of boost the whole time.

Turns out they were very appreciative of the loan. Car owner Ronnie who also owns RS Racing, called last night and offered to build the engine in full race mode for letting them use it.  And deliver it to Grid Life at Road Atlanta to meet us there in August.
What? Me worry?

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1269 on: May 18, 2017, 03:20:36 AM »
 8)

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1270 on: June 15, 2017, 02:28:40 AM »
so I have been doing a little work on the pond

Offline Gunfighter51

• -
  • Pilot in Training
« Reply #1271 on: June 15, 2017, 02:45:46 AM »
Damn! That's some nice work!

Offline export!

• I try to keep the site running
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Skunkworks North
« Reply #1272 on: June 16, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
It's like you live in Busch Gardens!  We can almost get stuff looking that nice by late August.  Then it gets buried under snow and you get to start from scratch in April.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1273 on: June 19, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
Thanks, it's been a slow progress getting the pond/ water garden to where it is now. it is Monica's favorite place to sit and relax
my next project for it is to add another water fall and a 15' stream that drops in beside where the bogs overflow is,,,, in the first picture it is the top right corner of the pond

Offline export!

• I try to keep the site running
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Skunkworks North
« Reply #1274 on: June 19, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
What kind of pumps do you use AJ?  Are they submersible or more like a pool/hottub pump?
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."