Author Topic: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?  (Read 52977 times)

Offline AceJ

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
Re: So what are you working on besides an awesome plane?
« Reply #1275 on: June 20, 2017, 02:29:02 AM »
I have 2 submersible pumps, 1 operates the waterfall and the bog. it turns about 3500 gal. per hour and a smaller pump that is set up as a particle filter that has a underwater spout to keep the current moving and a above water spout that helps aerate the water and for looks as a little fountain, it turns about 300 gal hour
the bog is about 8'X8'X24" deep with piping at the bottom that filters the water through 3 tons of pea gravel before re-entering the pond

Well I flew it up there,,, now how do we get it down,,,,,,,,, NO MARK put that gun away

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1276 on: June 21, 2017, 05:09:53 PM »
AJ, let me know when you are free, time wise that is. I'll be happy to put you up while you do our place.  ;D Just kidding.
Dang fine work you are doing. That's going to be really nice.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1277 on: June 21, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »
Anywho, don't know how the rest of you spent Father's Day, but yours truly spent his again working on the race car.

And nearly had an incident to top them all. Part of our balancing out the car involved moving the pump that controls the differentials from the front to the back.  No biggie, did the same to the last one.

Well it did involve me making a single steel line that ran from the front of the car, to the rear, over the driveshaft, and then looped back to the pump.

Well I wasn't about to try that one again. So, we had a steel line that ran from the front to the rear of the car, no longer used as it was part of the emissions system we eliminated.  Great, all I had to do was make a connection in the front and a second one at the rear to use it.

Rear hook up wasn't too bad, front looked to be even easier.  Front line had to be cut to make it meet up with the line coming over from the differential.  Of course where it needed cut I couldn't get to it with a pipe cutter.

No problem, Shane tells me just use the Dremel with a cut off wheel.   Okay.   NO NOT OKAY!

Cutting wheel tends to make a lot of sparks. And said pipe use to handle fuel vapors back to the charcoal canister.
Well we found out vapors over time tend to condense into a liquid.

I hit the pipe with the cut off wheel, sparks flying and then I see a liquid spraying out of the cut! :o

Yep, raw gas shooting out of the pipe onto the cutting wheel.  :o :o :o

I don't think I've ever moved so fast out from under a car.  Don't know how, it didn't explode.

That would not have been pretty.
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1278 on: July 25, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
Beginning to think the EVO is cursed.  We wrapped it up this weekend to get it ready for some track time, on the 5th.

Two odd ball things occurred. I'd been fighting a drip from the ACD line. It looked like one of the connectors wasn't sealing.
Replaced it twice, replaced the section of line too. Ran the car down the street, and pulled in the garage and the thing started puking trans fluid from what looked like the fitting. Got to looking and found it never was the line or the fitting. It was a splice the factory did.
The line had a tab welded to the fuel filler for support. In case you had to remove the filler they put a high pressure hose between the two metal lines.  Apparently it had a pin hole on it, that was seeping fluid, fluid ran down the line and dripped off the fitting I had installed.It finally blew the hose apart and was able to see what was going on.  ::) It's fixed now.

Got that done, and set the car up on the scales to set the weight balance. It was almost dead on without doing anything.  ;D
Had been there for 11 hours, getting the leak corrected, fitting the new side skirts to the sides, and making up a rear license bracket. Told Shane I was done for the day and headed home.

Tonight he calls me to tell me we need an Exorcist.  ???

Seems he reached in to turn the ignition key on to check something, and turned it a bit to far. Starter engaged, car rolled off the scales and crushed both brand new side skirts.  :o :o :o

Looks like I'll be working again on Sunday, pull the side skirts, install the original ones, and start glassing the damaged ones to try and have them done for the big show Aug.25th.  :'(
What? Me worry?

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1279 on: August 12, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »
Well I now believe in curses.  Car is ready,(again) I even got the smashed side skirts pieced back together and fiberglassed and primed.
Enough that they can be vinyl wrapped with the rest of the car.

Good news, 3 more sponsors have come on board for us. Will make things so much easier... and cheaper.

Now back to the curse. They were taking the car to get the wrap done, loading it on the trailer. Next door neighbor comes out, gets in his car and somehow hits the gas instead of the brake as he's backing out.

Of course the EVO is sitting directly in his path. :o  He smashed into the right front of the EVO. :o :o :o

Front door is now junk, fender is tweaked, and there are marks on the tire and wheel. :'( 
At least we have a spare door and fender from the old car we can install. But if the wheel or suspension is damaged I'm not sure what we can do.
Wheels are custom offsets from Japan, and the suspension is not serviced in individual parts, only sold as complete front assembly.

This guy's insurance is going to take a beating. Especially if we can't make it to Road Atlanta on the 25th.  >:( >:( >:(
What? Me worry?

Offline export!

• I try to keep the site running
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Skunkworks North
« Reply #1280 on: August 13, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »
Omg.  I guess it could have been way way worse.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."

Offline Glacier Girl

• -
  • Fighter Pilot
  • Kamikaze Ace
« Reply #1281 on: August 14, 2017, 03:13:55 AM »
I guess more bad luck or good, we had/have a spare door from the other EVO. Spent all day Sunday replacing the door, then found out the fender bracket was bent. Which entailed removing the headlights and bumper and side skirt to get the fender off to repair it. Of course it rained most of the day and we were outside. Since we were in it this far we decided to stretch the fenders even more. Cut off the bottoms and made new brackets to stretch them out to match the side shirts. Good luck, the alignment was able to be corrected, nothing appears to be damaged suspension wise.

This week will be even more fun, off to get wrapped, new front splitter and wing are supposed to show up from Evasive/Voltex so these have to get installed. New front bumper is on it's way may end up installing it next Wednesday before we leave or just carry it with us and install it at the track.  ::)
What? Me worry?